Hardware and environment specifications
Last update: October 23, 2018
HARDWARE AND ENVIRONMENT SPECIFICATIONS (for TopKapi 5.1 and 6.0 versions)
The present note is intended to help the users of TOPKAPI Vision to choose under the best possible conditions Hardware & Environment architectures for a correct operation of TOPKAPI.
The Hardware and systems evolving/moving unceasingly, it is difficult to collect and hold up to date all information useful and necessary. Consequently, AREAL declines any responsibility in the event of error or for inaccuracies in the present note, or simply when information is limited to avoid an excess of details, but will endeavour to bring its assistance to any user meeting difficulties.
IMPORTANT TO NOTICE
- The Webserv2 module (available with version 6.0) requires a 64-bit Windows OS to run. Starting from option 5 simultaneous connections it is necessary to use a Windows Server OS (2012 or 2016).
- The activation of the DataBase mode (available with version 6.0) requires the server license to be installed on a Windows 64-bit OS.
- The dematerialization of the protection of a license (available with version 6.0) requires the Internet connection of the Topkapi license to a Web server hosted by AREAL for periodic activation control. The communication is always initiated by the license via a secure https port.
INTEL CORE i5 PROCESSOR OR EQUIVALENT
8 Gb minimum, 12 Gb recommended for Windows 10 / Windows 2012 R2 Server / Windows 2016 Server.
Hard Disk Drive:
Size according to the amount of data to be stored. Usually, the hard disks delivered along with standard PCs are adequate. For more details, see at the end of this document.
An SSD disk is recommended for applications with hot backup or where data storage flows are high.
All Windows Resolutions.
In the event of use of multi-screens boards, we recommend to increase the RAM memory (for example 4 screens boards 1280x1024).
Try to seek a homogeneous resolution preferably, choosing the same as existing applications used in the company. Also take in account capacities of the stations likely to be connected (for example on-duty portable PCs).
TOPKAPI uses mainly the sound to announce the appearance of faults. If you wish to exploit this possibility, it is generally insufficient to rely only on the loudspeaker, of very low power, incorporated in the PC. You should consider adding a Sound board and separate speakers, separated or attached to the Display.
The sound signal is produced on the station which treats the application as well as on all the client stations used for control. It is possible to choose the stations on which the sound signal will be played.
TOPKAPI Vision runs under Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 10, Windows 2012 R2 Server and Windows 2016 server. More details.
TOPKAPI Vision also runs under virtual environments such as Microsoft Virtual Server 2007 / Hyper-V or VMware.
The use of a 64-bit Windows OS is required when using the Webserv2 module and/or Database mode (Topkapi version 6.0).
TCP-IP compulsory: TOPKAPI in its client (fat)/server operation in network, uses TCP-IP protocol and accepts any type of network using this protocol.
Sharing disk resources is not necessary. When a TOPKAPI fat client wants to visualize the application of a server, a copy of this application must reside on a local disc of the client station.
It is not necessary that the TOPKAPI server Hard Disk or directory is shared on the network.
FIREWALLS, ROUTERS and GATEWAYS SUPPORTED:
TOPKAPI is compliant with firewalls, routers and other gateways. Take note that TOPKAPI uses port TCP 700, 832 or 833 when using th Webserv2 module and that this number must be correctly treated (not blocked) for the other devices on the network.
The structure of TOPKAPI (local copy of the application of the server on a fat client with automatic update, optimized exchanges) allows:
- A limited use of the band-width on the high speed networks.
- A good comfort of use with low speed connections (VPN, WAN, etc).
Software compression must be able to be ensured to obtain the best performances, not by the modems, but by the services of access to the network. It is the case for the RAS services of Windows, but that must be checked for example for the routers, modem ISDN, etc. connected directly onto the network.
TOPKAPI is based on the RAS services (Remote Access Service) of Windows for the distant client/server exchanges on switched or cellular telephone networks.
TERMINAL SERVICES SERVER (RDP)
The TOPKAPI TS Server option uses the Microsoft's Terminal Services technology; Windows 2012 R2 Server or Windows 2016 Server are required for the TOPKAPI server station.
REDUNDANCY and SHARED PROCESSING
Use 2012 R2 Server / 2016 Server / 7 Pro / 8 Pro / 10 Pro
The volume of information exchanged between two redundant stations, main and standby, can be high. Use connections with at least 10 Mbps; 100 Mbps is recommended. Low bandwidth connections are to be proscribed (except particular case: please contact AREAL).
ACQUISITION/FIELDBUS: Please consult AREAL in case of doubt about the architecture of communication in redundancy
MULTICHANNEL SERIAL BOARDS
Use boards guaranteed to be fully compatible with Windows. Addresses are published on the site of AREAL (see Hardware Partners).
The choice of the modems usable depends on the connected remote controllers (immunity with the noise, attenuation, special modulations). AREAL recommends modems ERCOGENER GE 934 (see Hardware Partners) for PSTN communications or ERCOGENER GenPRO 325e for GSM data / 2G, which offers the best characteristics of adaptation and reliability, in particular for the brands Perax, Sofrel, Wit. You can also consult the RTU's manufacturer (in particular according to the countries) and consult AREAL if modems ERCOGENER do not seem suitable with your particular case.
MODEMS FOR REMOTE ALARM NOTIFICATION
To send direct SMS messages with TOPKAPI, and enable acknowledgement by reply SMS messages, use GSM Modem ERCOGENER GenPro 325e or MAESTRO Wireless M100 series ref M1003GXT02 (www.maestro-wireless.com).
You are recommended NOT to use USB modems: any computer restart can result in unexpected serial port number change.
MODEMS FOR VOICE SYNTHESIS
For voice synthesis you can use either an ERCOGENER GenPac 92c PSTN modem or Multitech MT5600BA (requires a Topkapi V6 or higher version) or a Speech Unit modem from LGM INGENIERIE (versions prior to version 6.0, or use of GSM support) - see Hardware Partners. For a use out of the French territory, please contact the supplier to ensure of approvals in the country concerned, as of the availability of the language which you wish to use (English, French, German, Spanish, ...).
The events printer is intended to produce a continuous printout of the events. It consequently is strongly disadvised using a common printer for the events printing on the one hand, and the other printouts (TOPKAPI or other Windows applications) on the other hand.
Dot-matrix printers with continuous paper traction recommended:
- Continuity of the journal
- The impact printing constitutes a sound signal which draws the attention of the operator.
- Printers of mark EPSON recommended (LX300 for example): the default control strings of TOPKAPI are suited to these printer. In the absence of EPSON, make sure that you have the detailed documentation of the control strings of the printer to adjust parameter setting TOPKAPI controls the events printer directly; this one should not be installed like a Windows printer and should not be on USB port).
Port of impression:
- Parallel port.
- USB port by network sharing.
Up to 3 events printers supported. If a printer is not connected directly to the PC, it must be shared by Windows.
The printout other than the events printing relate to the printing of histories, curves, reports, screen shots as well as any printing requested by applications other than TOPKAPI.
All the printers installed under Windows can be used.
For the automatic printouts, only the printer declared in TOPKAPI like default printer can be used. The parameters of page-setting for the automatic printout are identical for all the documents to be printed.
A safeguard of the application is recommended after each modifications of configuration.
According to the needs for exploitation (traceability), a periodic safeguard of the log files could be necessary. TOPKAPI has the tools allowing these safeguards.
The periodicity and the automation of the tasks, as well as volumes of data, must determine the type of peripheral of safeguard to use:
- External hard disk,
- NAS Server,
Do not neglect the possibilities offered by the safeguards on the hard disk of another PC in network, or on a second hard disk of the PC lodging TOPKAPI.
Count in addition to space necessary for Windows:
- Approximately 1Gb for TOPKAPI's executable and library files.
- Approximately 2 Gb if you wish to install the application of demonstration delivered with this TOPKAPI.
- From 40 Mb to 1 Gb for the configuration of the TOPKAPI application. The most significant volume lays in the graphic background pictures: the approximative size of a JPG 1024x768 pixels true colors picture is 400 kb, that is to say 40 Mb for 100 mimic pages.
Dimension your historical files:
- The size of the historical files is fixed at the configuration in a number of records. The period covered depends on the average frequency of the recordings.
- 250 bytes per record of the type event ( alarms, events printing, etc...), i.e. 2,4 Mb for a 10 000 records log file. Up to 256 history groups and up to 1 million records per group.
- 10 bytes per sample for the values to sample periodically (graphs, *.DT files)
- By way of example, 400 analogical values stored every fifteen minutes during 5 years represent a disc volume of 850 Mb.
- Up to 20 Gb are occupied when Database mode is activated (available since version 6.0)